What are the top import & top export partners for each U.S. state/territory? Howmuch.net says the import/export partners for each state vary across the country and their latest maps show exactly who that is. Indeed…
Some key points:
- Canada is the main import partner for 20 states, and Mexico is only the top import partner for 6 states. it is also the single biggest trading partner for the vast majority of states, receiving the most exports for 33 states
- The U.S. has a massive trade imbalance with China. Although only a handful of states have China as their main export partner, China plays a much larger role in imports, serving as the main import partner for 15 states.
- Montana is the most heavily dependent state on a single country for imports. Montana received $3.4B in goods from Canada, representing 87% of the state’s total.
- North Dakota and New Mexico are the two states most heavily dependent on a single country for their export industries. 84.6% of all exports from North Dakota head north, and 59.5% from New Mexico go south.
- Most states have a balanced and diversified number of international trade partners, with the average across all states coming in at 26.4%.