Congress Missed a Chance to Protect Rentals. We Can’t Let it Happen Again!
by Charles Tassell, COO, National REIA
All of us at National REIA hope you and your families are well. The COVID-19 outbreak is an enormous challenge to our communities and our nation. While Congress enacted far-reaching measures in response to the crisis, more needs to be done. Congress needs to pass additional relief measures for the rental housing industry and address a number of concerns in the recently passed CARES Act!
Take action by contacting your Member of Congress and demand they protect the rental community!
Specifically, Congress needs to:
- Create an emergency rental assistance program for those who are impacted by the COVID-19 crisis and struggling to cover housing expenses.
- Better tailor the CARES Act eviction moratorium provision and safeguard owners’ ability to effectively manage their property.
- Allow more housing providers access to mortgage forbearance and ensure fairness and flexibility in those terms.
- Provide financial assistance for property-level financial obligations such as property taxes or insurance payments and extend credit to residential/commercial mortgage servicers.
- Expand the Small Business Administration’s Paycheck Protection Program to include all rental businesses.
Send your message to Congress today. There are tens of thousands of rental housing owners, operators and property management businesses in America today. National REIA is participating in this effort as part of a broad coalition of rental housing providers representing the entire industry. If all of us make our voices heard, we can secure the relief that is desperately needed. Please send your message now!
Click on the box below to contact your Member of Congress!
Click here to visit National REIA’s Legislative Action Center.